Frequently Asked Questions
Will the school take daily temperatures of students as a means to screen for COVID-19?
Will students have Recess? Will students be able to participate in PE / Music?
- Whenever possible, physical education classes will be held outside to allow for maximum social distancing between students.
- Visual markers will be on the floor and bleachers as reminders of social distancing rules.
- Students will be placed in smaller, appropriate groups for instruction and activities for appropriate social distancing.
- Students will need to provide their own water bottles.
- Restroom use will be the practice of “one in and one out.” Equipment will be disinfected after each use.
- Any activities bringing students into close physical contact will be avoided. Activities requiring multiple students to touch or handle the same equipment will be avoided.
- Sanitizing areas and access to handwashing will be provided.
Cleaning Procedures | Disinfecting Routines
If you have to miss school because of a fever or covid-related symptoms, will you be moved to distance learning until it sits safe to return?
Will the custodial staff follow a certain schedule of disinfecting classrooms, supplies, gyms, hallways, and other common areas and surfaces? Do they have enough supply?
What will parents be expected to do prior to sending their child to school?
- Parents will be asked to administer a COVID-19 Health Assessment daily, which includes checking their children’s temperature and looking for common symptoms of the virus. Parents will need to keep their student home if he/she feels ill. SISD will provide a general screening document to parents when TEA makes that available.
- Student temperatures will be checked at school for COVID-19 related screening at the beginning of the day.
- Cooperation from parents and students will be critical to ensure we limit possible viral exposure. If students do not meet the exclusionary criteria, students should report to school for face to face instruction.
Face Coverings / Masks
Does my student have to wear a mask all day?
Will my student be allowed to only wear the mask when going from class to class and the shield the rest of the time?
Will children be able to take their own mask or do they need to wear what the school provides? Are cloth masks sufficient? If so, can they bring them home to be cleaned and disinfected by parents?
Will students be required to wear masks at recess?
Will social distancing be followed at recess and PE?
What grades have to utilize face coverings? When will they not be required to wear a face covering?
Does SISD have any plans in place to delay the starting of the school year if cases continue to rise at an alarming level?
What will drop-off and pick-up look like this year? Are we allowed to walk our students to their classroom?
What will breakfast and lunch look like?
- At the elementary level, students will either eat in their classroom or in a setting that allows for social distancing.
- Lunches will be served in covered containers.
- At the secondary level, students will be spread out in many areas of the school and outdoors, weather permitting. When transitioning to and from the cafeteria, in lunch lines, etc. students will be expected to wear a face covering. Once seated and eating, students may remove their masks. High School students will be permitted to leave campus.
Will my student be able to leave for lunch? Am I able to drop off lunch at the front office?
How will students move from class to class? What will the passing period look like for secondary?
Will visitors be allowed on campuses?
- Visits must be official school business and have a scheduled appointment
- All visitors required to wear masks and utilize hand sanitizing stations upon entry
- Parents will be required to drop off students at designated drop off locations
- Students may bring lunch, but no drop-off or delivery of lunch allowed
- No visitors will be allowed to eat with students
- Students in PK - 8th grade will not be allowed to leave campus for lunch
- Until further notice, classroom parties will not be allowed
How will I know if thee is a case?
If we do not like on-campus learning, can we switch our student to distance learning?
What will schedules look like for in-person learning?
What will distance learning actually look?
Will the supply list for distance learning be the same as the in-person learning?
What will a small group look like? How many children together at a time?
Will technology be provided to distance learners?
How will the Special Ed classroom enforce social distancing or mask when they don't understand this and have sensory issues?
What is the process for applying for free and/or reduced lunch for students? Will my distance learner receive a school provided meal?
What time does school start each day?
Social | Emotional Well-Being
Will children be able to interact at all?
Does SISD have any plans to provide additional emotional support for teachers and students during this school year?
Will there be a day for the kids to get to find their classrooms, meet the teacher, and experience wearing their mask or face shields before school starts?
Will my daughter that is going to Junior High be able to take her supplies to school, look at the school, and get to know where her classes are at as well?
Will students get to go to PE, Music, and Recess?
How will the behavioral changes as a result of stress, anxiety, fear due to social distancing be handled?